Spring cleaning is a great way to get outdoors and take advantage of the beautiful weather. That’s right–it’s not all about staying stuck inside cleaning out your closet. Exterior spring cleaning gives you a chance to prepare for summer, assess your property and make repairs before hurricane season. Plus, spring cleaning your yard makes it more inviting for your kids and pets to play or your neighbors to come over for a barbecue.
Why Is Exterior Spring Cleaning Important?
Now that the grass is turning green again and the weeds are starting to poke through, you likely have to think about mowing again. But lawn care isn’t always enough. You should also inspect your home’s exterior and property to ensure that it’s structurally sound and conduct some basic maintenance.
An inspection can quickly shed light on the areas of your home and yard that need repair. Perhaps you need to fix some loose fence posts before the next big hurricane tears them apart. You might need to seal cracks around your windows or replace missing shingles on your roof.
Speaking of your roof, it provides protection from the elements and keeps you comfortable inside your home. But it often collects debris over the winter, and you may not notice until you spend more time outdoors in the spring.
One of the best times to inspect and maintain your roof is from March to May. Paying attention to your roof during spring cleaning ensures that it will continue to keep you safe and comfortable when the intense heat and hurricanes roll around.Of course, most homeowners aren’t too thrilled about climbing onto their roof. Hire a licensed and insured roofing contractor for inspections, maintenance and gutter cleaning services Wilmington.
Taking care of these issues before they become major problems will save you time, money and headaches. It also prolongs the life of your home and other structures on your property.
Spring Cleaning Your Yard
Scroll down to read through the spring cleaning checklist, or just click on the image below to print it out.
Inspect the Property
The first step in exterior spring cleaning is to walk the property and survey its condition. Keep an eye out for the following:
- Damaged, warped or loose fence slats
- Missing shingles on your shed
- Tree limbs that are too close to the house
- Dead or diseased plants
- Holes or patchy lawn areas
Inspect Your Home’s Exterior
Now it’s time to use the same discerning eyes to evaluate the outside of your home. Look for:
- Damage to the siding
- Shutter damage
- Cracks in the foundation
- Problems with your roof (Leave this to the professionals if you aren’t experienced with roof maintenance and repair)
- Peeling paint on siding, doors, window frames and shutters
- Air leaks around windows and doors
- Check external HVAC units, including hoses and drain pans, for damage, and clear any debris from the equipment
If the damage is extensive or you’re not sure how to remedy it, hire a professional to perform exterior repairs.
Spring Cleaning Your Lawn and Garden
- Trim trees and bushes at least 6 to 10 inches away from the roof line.
- Ensure that your hoses are in good shape and connect well to the spigots.
- Perform spring lawn mower maintenance.
- Check the handles on shovels and rakes to ensure that they’re tight.
- Sharpen your pruning tools.
- Get rid of old flower pots, broken toys and depressions in the ground, which can collect standing water and become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Rake the lawn to break up thatch and clear rocks and sticks.
Spring Cleaning Your Home’s Exterior
Make notes of anything you find during your inspection that needs some attention. Now it’s time to get to work. Take care of those issues, as well as the following:
- Check outdoor plumbing to make sure it works and doesn’t leak.
- Wash the exterior surfaces of your house to remove grime, pollutants and mold, which could damage your home and create health problems.
- Wash the outside of your windows, including the screens.
- Pressure wash paved surfaces and decks.
- Seal or stain your deck and fence.
- Deep clean patio furniture.
- Caulk around windows and doors.
- Remove leaves, pine straw and other debris from the roof.
- If you have a chimney, get it cleaned and inspected.
- Clean and prep the grill, checking burners and hoses and removing ash and grease buildup.
Take Care of Your Gutters
Gutter cleaning services Wilmington ensure proper roof drainage, which prevents moisture problems from damaging your roof and the foundation. The following precautions extend the life of your roof and protect your home from rot and water damage:
- Inspect the gutters from above. Afraid of heights? Don’t have a ladder? Don’t want to deal? We offer free gutter inspections for your peace of mind..
- Look for water stains near downspouts and under eaves, which could indicate that your gutters aren’t working as well as they should.
- Check for proper drainage. If the gutter drips on your head as you walk in the front door during a rainstorm, it needs to be repaired. You can look for leaks by spraying water from a hose onto the roof and ensuring that it makes it through the downspout without dripping or overflowing.
- Spring is a great time to install gutter guards, which will keep all those beautiful spring blossoms that blow around from settling in the spaces where water needs to flow.
- Ensure that water from downspouts is directed away from the home. Add downspout extensions for better drainage.
Tips to Simplify Exterior Spring Cleaning
Spring cleaning your yard seems like a bigger chore than spring cleaning indoors. It requires a bit more physical effort, and you have to wait for pleasant weather to do it.
You don’t have to tackle everything yourself. Get the rest of the family involved with inspections, raking and picking up debris. Hire a lawn care professional or a helpful neighbor to take care of your lawn care needs.
And if you’re not comfortable several feet above the ground, don’t attempt to do roof and gutter inspections yourself. Professional roofers and gutter cleaning services Wilmington are here to keep you safe and protect your home.
At Patriot Roofing, we understand that spring cleaning your yard involves a hefty checklist. You know how good it feels to cross tasks off of your to-do list? We do too, and we can help you do it. From gutter cleaning services to exterior repairs to siding installation and maintenance, we will make sure that your home looks great and protects your family like it’s supposed to.